Summer is winding down! Lots of folks are heading out on summer vacation, so we pulled together a list of our fave animal books that we’ve been adding to all our summer reading lists.Whether you’re looking for some health and wellness tips or are interested in what it’s truly like to foster dogs, this list of animal books you will keep for the entire year!And did you know that Spot Magazine’s Lending Library is at Salty’s Pet Supply? Learn more about it here!
Below are seven suggestions for animal books from our staff!
1) If you’re worried about everything from how to prevent heat stroke to feline friendly flowers, local Portland vet Dr. Jason Nicholas talks about his 101 essential tips in his new animal books:
- 101 Essential Tips — Puppy or New Dog — Health & Safety
- 101 Essential Tips — Kitten or New Cat — Health and Safety
2) If you want to laugh and cry, then pick up this new title about fostering dogs. “Another Good Dog” – Cara Sue Achterberg
This is a great story about what happens when you foster 50 dogs in less than two years! It launches this month.
3) This local Washougal, Washington author provides practical advice for animal lovers. And Stephanie isn’t only compassionate about animals but also about the people that care for animals. Most people don’t consider how important this last point is – sometimes it’s the people that need “saving”. Be kind to one another is a common theme throughout!
“The Animal Lover’s Guide to Changing the World” – Stephanie Feldstein
This title just launched this summer. So many practical ways to get involved in animal welfare.
4) Allie’s blog Hyperbole and a Half is hilarious, and a few years ago she released a book that will have you laughing so hard you’ll be crying.
“Hyperbole and a Half” – Allie Brosh
This native Oregonian is known for her blog and her two neurotic mutts. An oldie but a goodie.
5) This author dives deep into the real story behind that doggie in the window. This is an intense read so get ready to be moved and educated.
Also released earlier this year, this is a hard look at puppy mills and a worthwhile read.
6) If you’re looking to read up on raw food diets and holistic advice for pets, look no further than Dr. Becker’s book.
“Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats Cookbook” – Dr. Becker
There are great easy-to-,make recipes!
7) Dog behavior is what we’re hooked on so the best title we found is written by Turid Rugaas.
“Calming Signals” – Turid Rugaas
If you live with one or more dogs you need to read this. It may save the relationship you have with your dogs.
Enjoy your summer and happy reading!